Breast Reduction DC
Overly large breasts can cause pain and discomfort and make a woman feel self-conscious about her appearance. Breasts that are too big can appear out of proportion with the rest of the body, limit the clothes you can wear, and make you appear heavy. Furthermore, they can cause hygiene problems, skin rashes and back pain.
Dr. Chang's DC breast reduction surgery can reshape the breasts and reduce their size for a more balanced and graceful profile. It can also alleviate pain and discomfort associated with overdeveloped breasts.
If your breasts are larger and heavier than you would like for them to be, call our office to schedule a consultation with Dr. Christopher C. Chang. We serve the entire Washington, D.C. area, including Fairfax, Maryland, and Northern Virginia.
Dr. Chang has extensive training and experience in plastic surgery of the breasts. He is attentive to symmetry and detail and committed to surgical excellence. With his open manner and down-to-earth approach, Dr. Chang’s patients are comfortable with him as a surgeon, and appreciate his warm, caring demeanor.
Health Issues with Overly Large Breasts
In addition to aesthetic issues with breasts that are too large for your frame, heavy breasts can cause health problems that Dr. Chang's breast reduction surgery in DC can alleviate, including:
- Chronic pain: The weight of heavy breasts can cause strain on the neck, back, and shoulders, resulting in chronic pain, and sometimes headaches.
- Poor posture: Heavy breasts can cause poor posture, including rolling the shoulders forward, which can put pressure on the thoracic outlet (blood vessels and nerves between the collar bone and the first rib), compress nerves and blood vessels, and cause pain and tingling in the upper extremities.
- Grooves in the shoulders: The weight of heavy breasts pulling on the bra straps, day after day, can cut deep, painful, grooves in the shoulders.
- Skin irritation: Rashes and skin irritation underneath the breasts, including heat rash, are common in very large-breasted women. It is difficult to keep the area under the breasts cool and dry when sweat cannot evaporate. Spillage out of a bra cup can also cause chafing on the sides of the breasts.
Benefits of Breast Reduction Surgery
With breast reduction surgery, Dr. Chang can make your breasts smaller, firmer, and lighter, eliminate sagging, and improve the symmetry of your breasts. In addition to relieving the pain and discomfort caused by overly large breasts, this procedure can have significant cosmetic benefits, including:
- Lifted, firmer breasts for a more youthful appearance
- More balanced and attractive silhouette with better proportioned breasts
- Large nipples and stretched areolas can be reduced in the same procedure
- Clothes look, feel, and fit better to boost your confidence
When medically necessary, breast reduction surgery may be covered by health insurance. Don’t suffer any longer with breasts that are causing you pain, and detracting from your appearance. Dr. Christopher C. Chang can perform a breast reduction procedure to relieve your pain and discomfort and lighten your breasts, for a more feminine and youthful profile.
Recovery from breast reduction surgery - what should I expect?
As your Washington DC breast reduction surgery has involved the removal of breast tissue and skin and may involve improving the appearance of the nipples by resizing them, as well as moving the nipple structure to a higher, more youthful position on the reshaped breast mound, you will need some time to recover.
You will have stitches, which are removed within five to ten days, based upon your rate of healing. Initially, it is normal for your breasts to appear larger than they will later, due to swelling. You may feel very tired, as your body needs to rest so the energy can be spent in healing. You will need to closely follow all aftercare instructions provided by Dr. Chang, which will include:
- Get plenty of rest - don't push yourself.
- Do not lift anything that could put a strain on your incisions, for at least two weeks, and do not lift anything over your head for three weeks.
- Take all medications as prescribed, including a full course of antibiotics.
- Eat a normal diet. If you feel nauseous, eat bland foods until you feel better.
- Do not take any blood thinning medications or supplements until you are given the okay.
- Only take prescription pain medication as prescribed.
- You may only require over-the-counter painkillers, but need to take the right type, so speak with Dr. Chang or his medical staff.
- You will have to wait to engage in sex until given the medical okay.
- Plan on two weeks off work. You may feel better sooner but having enough time to heal is important.
- Continue to wear the compression bra as long as required by our surgeon. This will help your newly-shaped breasts to heal properly. You cannot wear an underwire bra for about one month.
- Talk gentle walks every day, increasing distance each day.
- No bicycle riding, jogging, or exercise until given the okay.
Cost of breast reduction surgery
Breast reduction surgery is often covered by health insurance, whether fully or partially. If not, the cost of breast reduction will vary, and is in the range of $5,000 to $10,000, based upon the extent of the procedure. Every woman is different. Some may require liposuction and extensive breast reshaping, along with reducing the size the areolas and moving the nipple structure. A private consultation with Dr. Chang will reveal what will be needed in your case, along with the cost. Our friendly, helpful administrative staff can offer support related to seeking approval from your health insurance provider.
Why choose Dr. Christopher Chang for breast reduction surgery in DC?
Dr. Christopher Chang has a reputation for excellence, both from his patients and in the medical community. He is widely considered to be among the finest breast surgeons practicing in the DC area, and beyond. He holds several advanced degrees and was educated at some of the finest universities in the USA, including Yale and Johns Hopkins. When under the care of Dr. Chang, you can be confident that your breast reduction will be performed with meticulous care, attention to detail, and the end goal of creating beautifully balanced, plump, youthful breasts that are in proportion with your figure.
Your first step: A private consultation
If you are ready to consider breast reduction in DC, the quality and experience of your plastic surgeon are the most important points in a positive outcome. Your first step is a private consultation so we can speak with you about what you hope to achieve and evaluate the condition of your breasts. We educate our patients on every aspect of this custom surgery, including preparing for surgery, the procedure, recovery, and what to expect in the final appearance of your breasts. You are invited to meet with us at our private, exclusive plastic surgery clinic about a custom breast reduction procedure.
"I have never felt so confident. Dr. Chang completely changed how I saw myself in the mirror. I was terribly self conscious of my nose from my youth and finally decided to go through with the surgery. Not only was it inexpensive compared to the other three doctors I contacted, the before and after pictures of patients were also much better looking than the others! The whole process of surgery and recovery was quick and pretty much painless. I would definitely recommend him to anyone wanting cosmetic surgery. It really made me a happier person." - Catherine M.
"My son was in a terrible accident with most of the bones in his face and skull broken... I don't know what I would have done without Dr Chang!! My son is fully recovered and back to his old self again. I love Dr Chang, he will be in my prayers for the rest of my life. Thank you!" - Elizabeth A.
"I cannot say enough about my surgery with Dr. Chang! I had full facial Rejuvenation including a facelift brow lift and upper eyelids done 4 months ago. I also had a chemical peel to my lower eyelids and mouth. They was barely any pain and I was back to work the next week! I am so thrilled and my friends are so impressed. I cannot say enough about my experience! He is both caring and an amazing surgeon! Thank you so much!" - Cathy W.
The entire experience and outcome was everything I hoped for and I cannot thank Dr. Chang enough! He is a true pro and I recommend 100% without reservation!" - Ashley R.
"I went to Dr. Chang to correct the damage done to my breasts from pregnancy and breastfeeding. He went above and beyond to make me comfortable and to explain exactly what the procedures (lift + implants) would entail. He was extremely responsive and truly understood the look that I was trying to achieve - full, natural for my frame, and with minimal scarring. I'm only two days out from surgery and I'm already loving my results. I am so glad that I chose Dr. Chang to restore my chest to its pre-baby appearance. I actually think they are going to be better than they ever were before I had kids!" - Emily L.