Breast surgery revision is a procedure performed to correct unsatisfactory results from a previous breast augmentation surgery. It may involve replacement or removal of breast implants, or may be performed to address complications or improve the symmetry, size, or projection of the breasts.
As a board-certified plastic surgeon with extensive training in cosmetic breast enhancement procedures, Dr. Christopher Chang is eminently qualified to perform breast surgery revision.
Common Reasons to Have Breast Surgery Revision
Patients who are dissatisfied or have breasts that look abnormal after previous breast enhancement surgery are candidates for breast revision surgery. Common problems and sources of dissatisfaction that make revision surgery necessary include:
- Implant rupture or leakage: Breast implants are durable but not designed to last forever. Rupture occurs when the silicone shell of an implant develops a tear. Deflation of the breast makes saline implant rupture obvious, while an MRI may be needed to detect rupture in a silicone implant.
- Capsular contracture: This common breast implant complication occurs when the scar tissue capsule that forms around the implant begins to tighten and contract. The capsule squeezes the implant, causing breast hardness, distortion, and pain.
- Implant shifting: Implant displacement or shifting occurs when implants drift upward, downward, inward, or outward from their original location. In many cases, this can be avoided with meticulous surgical technique and by using implants that are not overly large. Once implants have shifted, they can be repositioned in the proper location during breast surgery revision.
- Rippling or wrinkling: Breast implants sometimes develop ripples or wrinkles that are visible through the skin. This is more common with saline implants than with silicone, and among patients with implants that are too large or who have insufficient breast tissue to cover the implants.
- Asymmetry and sizing: Women naturally want their breasts to be symmetrical in size and projection after breast augmentation surgery. If this is not the case, breast revision surgery can be performed to correct the problem.
- Poor breast shape: Poor surgical technique in primary breast augmentation surgery or complications, such as implant displacement or capsular contracture, can result in breast that do not have the desired shape.
What Is Recovery Like after Breast Surgery Revision?
Recovery after breast surgery revision is much like recovery after primary breast enhancement surgery. However, in many cases it is somewhat more extensive. You will need to take at least one week off from work to recover.
You may experience bruising, swelling, and numbness after surgery. Dr. Chang may instruct you to wear a surgical bra throughout your recovery.
Limit upper body movement during your recovery and avoid strenuous activities for at least four weeks after surgery. Final results will appear in a few months after the procedure when the breasts settle into position.
Benefits of Breast Surgery Revision
A patient who undergoes breast enhancement surgery deserves to be happy with her results. Breast revision surgery can help you accomplish that if you are dissatisfied with the results of a primary surgery. Dr. Christopher Chang, Washington DC plastic surgeon, performs breast surgery revision to correct complications, replace breast implants, restore a more attractive breast appearance, and help patients achieve their cosmetic goals.
"I have never felt so confident. Dr. Chang completely changed how I saw myself in the mirror. I was terribly self conscious of my nose from my youth and finally decided to go through with the surgery. Not only was it inexpensive compared to the other three doctors I contacted, the before and after pictures of patients were also much better looking than the others! The whole process of surgery and recovery was quick and pretty much painless. I would definitely recommend him to anyone wanting cosmetic surgery. It really made me a happier person." - Catherine M.
"My son was in a terrible accident with most of the bones in his face and skull broken... I don't know what I would have done without Dr Chang!! My son is fully recovered and back to his old self again. I love Dr Chang, he will be in my prayers for the rest of my life. Thank you!" - Elizabeth A.
"I cannot say enough about my surgery with Dr. Chang! I had full facial Rejuvenation including a facelift brow lift and upper eyelids done 4 months ago. I also had a chemical peel to my lower eyelids and mouth. They was barely any pain and I was back to work the next week! I am so thrilled and my friends are so impressed. I cannot say enough about my experience! He is both caring and an amazing surgeon! Thank you so much!" - Cathy W.
The entire experience and outcome was everything I hoped for and I cannot thank Dr. Chang enough! He is a true pro and I recommend 100% without reservation!" - Ashley R.
"I went to Dr. Chang to correct the damage done to my breasts from pregnancy and breastfeeding. He went above and beyond to make me comfortable and to explain exactly what the procedures (lift + implants) would entail. He was extremely responsive and truly understood the look that I was trying to achieve - full, natural for my frame, and with minimal scarring. I'm only two days out from surgery and I'm already loving my results. I am so glad that I chose Dr. Chang to restore my chest to its pre-baby appearance. I actually think they are going to be better than they ever were before I had kids!" - Emily L.